<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Zarzuela Knits and Crochets
My blog about my knitting, crocheting, and anything else I feel like ranting about!

Lots of happy things

12.06.2004
I seem to have a bunch of happy things to report today despite the fact that I had an ice covered car and no ice scraper when I tried to get home today. First,

Bills 42 - Miami 32

Nothing like beating a division rival to make the soul feel good.

Second, I'm on the last skein of yarn for the wedding afghan. Completion in time seems to be well within reach. Timely crochet is definitely a happy thing.

Third, Alison, the owner of the Blue Blog left me a comment! I'm such a geek...this totally made my day since I think she has such a cool blog. Since blue is my favorite color I was going to name my blog something along those lines, but when I found the Blue Blog I knew I'd been beat to the punch. My dismay quickly turned to bliss however when I started reading and found how cool it was. Be sure to check out her pattern that made the new Knitty too. It's really cute! (I'm also loving Mariah too. I think I have a thing for cables.)

Fourth, Remember the paper?

I GOT AN A!!! :-D

I could hardly believe it. I also got an A for the course which makes me totally happy. There is a light at the end of the tunnel! There really is!!
This weekend I was kind of a bad girl and cast on for the diagonal scarf I've been wanting to do for little old me for ages. It's done with two balls of Reynolds Fusion by casting on two stitches and increasing for a while and then binding off on the short edge and making stitches on the long edge as you go. So far it's coming out pretty well:

I fell in love with this yarn at Webs this summer but it was a little too much for the budget. I found it on sale at the Fabric Place and couldn't let it go again. I think the colors are simply amazing. And it really is wild how this little strand of fuzzy yarn can wind up feeling so thick and full. The only real problem I'm having is the needles. I started it on metal straight needles and my hands were not happy. I decided to switch to circs but the only size 9s I had are these really cheap awful things that don't let the yarn slide at all and are just horrible to work with. I think I've decided that all knitting must be done on circular needles. I mean, why not? They are way more comfy than straights and you can do all the same stuff. So armed with $5 off coupon and in honor of the A I'm going to take a little trip to the Fabric Place tomorrow night. :) They carry all sorts of Addi Turbos which I think are heaven sent. Lord only knows what other things I will find to get me in trouble there. I'll be sure to give the full report tomorrow night sometime providing we don't have another weather episode like we did today. YUCK!
And if you're wondering about the Koigu socks, 55 stitches is the magic number. Thank you for all the comments! Others had suggested this number and a friend shared a formula for figuring this out and that's what I came up with. Unfortunately, I don't really feel that I can post the formula here since it came from a book (I am a good future librarian I say!). But I can certainly lead you to the book which is Queen Kahuna's Crazy Toes & Heals Sock Book. If the title isn't worth the money alone, the sock formula is!! I've asked Santa for this for Christmas and if he doesn't deliver I'm certainly going to get it myself so I feel I have fullfilled my obligation to the copyright gods. So there. I'm not going to cast on for these until I get the wedding afghan done and a couple of scarfs that I realized today that I really should make for presents. After that, I'm planning a month of knitting and crocheting for me. How selfish am I?
One other thing, I just had to share this forward that my Mom sent me today.

BITCHOLOGY
When I stand up for myself and my beliefs,
they call me a bitch.
When I stand up for those I love,
they call me a bitch.
When I speak my mind,
think my own thoughts or do things my own way,
they call me a bitch.
Being a bitch means I won't compromise what's in my heart.
It means I live my life MY way.
It means I won't allow anyone to step on me.
When I refuse to tolerate injustice and speak against it,
I am defined as a bitch.
The same thing happens when I take time for myself instead of being everyone's maid,
or when I act a little selfish.

It means I have the courage and strength to allow myself to be who I truly am and won't become anyone else's idea of what they think I "should" be.

I am outspoken, opinionated and determined. I want what I want and there is nothing wrong with that!
So try to stomp on me, try to douse my inner flame, try to squash every ounce of beauty I hold within me.
You won't succeed.
And if that makes me a bitch, so be it.
I embrace the title and am proud to bear it.
B - Babe
I - In
T - Total
C - Control of
H - Herself
B = Beautiful
I = Intelligent
T = Talented
C = Charming
H = Hell of a Woman
B = Beautiful
I = Individual
T = That
C = Can
H = Handle anything
Yeah. I think that just about says it all.