<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Zarzuela Knits and Crochets
My blog about my knitting, crocheting, and anything else I feel like ranting about!

Mariah Monday!

3.07.2005
Oh DSL! How do I love thee? Let me count the ways!!

You are faster than dial-up!
You are faster than dial-up!
You are faster than dial-up!
You are faster than dial-up!
You are faster than dial-up!
You are faster than dial-up!
You are faster than dial-up!
You are faster than dial-up!
And you are always on!

Ok. I guess you get the idea. I am back to my DSL for less than two days before I head back to NY for recording sessions at the end of the week. I'm enjoying it while I can and doing everything I couldn't do without tearing my hair out on dial-up (i.e. watching videos for class and doing other things that require more than a trickle worth of bandwidth).

Of course last night I got stopped in my tracks when the power went out! It's pretty rare that we loose power around here. Most of the lines that go in and around my complex are underground, but it obviously is possible. My main worry was the fact that they weren't too positive about getting it back in less than 3 hours (!) and my heat is electric. Luckily, just about the time I had finished lighting a forrest fire worth of candles and had sat down to knit, it came back on. It would have been a lovely excuse not to do homework, but freezing would not have been a happy thing.

On the crafting front, I finally having something for a Mariah Monday update, sleeve pictures! I know you are totally bored out of your mind excited about that so I won't prolong the suspense:



I'm almost there! Just a few more inches to go. I finally got a measurement from wrist to underarm while I was home of 21 inches. *Ahem* (Have I mentioned I'm tall?) I'm a little confused as to how the knotwork will work out with the pattern repeats and stitch increases since I don't think I'm going to get them all in before it is 21 inches. Thank goodness for the knitalong! Someone will know what to do. I also finished up the other front piece and have cast on for the back. I've gotten a few inches done on that so things are speeding along pretty well right now.

My clapper is one skein in and has stalled a bit. I had some serious needle issues with this thing. I put it on the size 9 addis I'm doing my Diagonal Scarf on but for some reason they were really annoying me because they were too short. That doesn't bother me on the scarf but for this it was pulling on my wrists and not making me happy. So I stopped by Michael's on the way back from rehearsal one day. The only size 9's they had were the new Lion Brand straight knitting needles. I figured they were flexible so it wouldn't be so bad. Wrong! I have quite obviously been completely converted to circs. These things were so long I felt like I could smack someone with them across the room! Back they went.

So I thought I'd try A.C.Moore. They usually have a better selection of needles. I managed to find a pair of bamboo circs that were 26 inches long. Much better length wise but I'm still not too happy with them. The cord is really stiff, even after getting a good steaming over the tea kettle and the needles are a bit stickier than I'd like. I feel like I spend a lot of time moving the yarn up the needles before I knit it. I guess the good news is that it sure isn't going to fall off the needles by itself.

One fabulous development was the use of the cheapest, easiest stitch markers I have ever had. I was trying to use the little plastic disk kind, but they kept hanging up. And I wasn't about to buy more stitch markers that I probably wouldn't like and would have to take back. So my solution was a drinking straw. I read somewhere that you could cut up a drinking straw and use the pieces for stitch markers. Well it really works! They slide much better than the other kind and will definitely do in a pinch. Just make sure the straw fits your needle before you start to chop it up.
I've decided to put the rest of the clapper on hold until I get my birthday present. :) Gotta have something to wind when it arrives so I can play with it afterall!

And what has become of Dusty you ask? Not much. Idiot Incredibly intelligent person that I am, I left the other sleeve in CT last week. While this really shouldn't be that much of a problem, I think it would be better to have it with me just to make sure I'm keeping the gauge the same. I know myself too well to think otherwise.
And now I must get back to boring work type stuff (like getting my tax documents in order. Blech!). Happy Monday!