Zarzuela Knits and Crochets
My blog about my knitting, crocheting, and anything else I feel like ranting about!

When life happens...

Thanks for all the nice comments for my blogday. They are much appreciated!*

Many apologies for my sporadic posting as of late. It seems like I just can't seem to keep up between the job, the commute and life in general. I'm not supposed to use my computer at work for this type of thing either, so that doesn't help me stay on top of blogging. I'm hoping things will calm down soon so I can get back to more of a routine in the blog world.

So the job is going well. Hard to believe I'm already four weeks into it. My bosses are very happy with my performance so far. And while I'm getting a bit tired of cataloging nothing but Pop CDs, I'm basically liking it. There are a few things to work out still. I just finally turned in my health insurance forms today. I also had a little snafu last week where I cashed what I thought was my check only to find that my direct deposit finally went through. Turns out what I cashed was not a check even though it looked exactly the same. Go figure. The commute really isn't that bad. I think I've decided the thing I mind is that I have to be up at an unholy hour and I don't get home until 7pm most days. It's not the commute I mind, it's the timing. But I'll just have to live with that at least until August before anything changes.

As for life in general, last week was insane and a bit upsetting. A week ago Sunday night I went to New Jersey with HWJF to look at the area where he was offered a managerial position with the company he is currently working for. On Wednesday night he accepted the job, which was a bit of a shock. I think I've adjusted to the idea, but it definitely means big changes for both of us. We are both willing to do what we have to in order to make it work though. That's the important thing. He finally secured housing today and now it's just a matter of figuring out if he will actually be starting on Nov. 21st or waiting until after he can move on Dec. 1st.

I do have to say I had a great long weekend. Friday was my first paid day off in my entire life. It was pretty damn cool to think that while I was lying in bed at 8:30am I was getting paid anyway! Not bad I must say. I spent the day with HWJF and we did basically nothing which was totally fine by me. Saturday was spent doing the mundane things that one must do on their day off like cleaning. Saturday night I got to have dinner with knitbuds Robyn and Sami which was great. Between me starting a new job and life in general I've hardly gotten to see the two of them and we certainly haven't had any casual hang out and knit time in a while. It was definitely nice to catch up with them both. After that I went out to the after show party with HWJF (he's been doing a production of the Music Man for the last couple of weeks). Sunday was the cast party for the show and I ended up going up early to help get things set up only to end up setting off the house alarm with the other woman that was with me because the owner's forgot to tell us it was armed! Luckily we got it turned off and the cops didn't give us too much of a hard time so all was well. The party was a really nice end to the weekend and I really enjoyed it.

So in between all of this "life" I have been doing a bit of knitting. I finally finished up my Socktoberfest socks when I finished the Winter Socks:

These will become a Christmas present. I didn't get them done as fast as I might have liked since I was doing more sleeping than knitting on the train last week, but they are finished and ready for a wash. It's still pretty amazing how fast worsted weight yarn can make a pair of socks after using sock weight for so long!

I've also decided to make three Sophie bags for Christmas gifts for some friends. I have a gig at the end of this week which will be keeping me out until 10pm. When one has to be awake by 5am after a night like that, mindless knitting is the name of the game!

The first one is close to finished:

I'll make another in this color and the third in the green. The purple is Cascade 220 but the green is Lamb's Pride. I haven't used it for a felting project before so I hope it works out ok.

I also managed to make a stop at the Fabric place this weekend to finish acquiring yarn for Christmas gifts:

The blue is some Patons Canadiana for the Christmas gift (for someone who, I think, reads the blog and I will therefore not give more details) and since I just had to by $25 worth to use my coupon I ended up with more sock yarn. Shocking I know.

So that's the update for now. Don't expect much from me this week considering the crazy schedule. If I can see straight by the weekend maybe I'll have something worth posting by then. Have a great week everyone!

* By the way, if you don't hear back from me on your comments it may be because your message isn't coming through with an e-mail address. I'd love to respond to you if I can, but I can't do that if I don't have your e-mail. Sorry!