<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Zarzuela Knits and Crochets
My blog about my knitting, crocheting, and anything else I feel like ranting about!

Fair Isle burnout

2.20.2006
This Olympic Knathlete is finished with her Olympic games and has come home with double gold!



Apparently, I still haven't figured out what a real challenge for me might be:



Snowflake Bag

Pattern: Snowflake Bag from Vogue Knitting's "Bags and Backpacks"
Yarn: Lamb's Pride worsted in sapphire and Periwinkle (1 skein each)
Needles: Size 7 addi turbos
Knit: Feb. 13-18, 2006

I made several modifications to this pattern. I didn't like the cables at the top, so I took them out completely. Halfway through the project I discovered that the fair isle patterning was only on one side and the back was seed stitch, which is probably why it was originally done in two pieces (way to read the directions before jumping in!). Instead of that, I knit the bag completely in the round, I did all four charts, two on each side, twice using charts 1-4 for the bottom row and the same charts in reverse for the top row. After the three rows of seed stitch after the second row of charts was done, I bound off the three stitches on each side and knit back and fourth, reducing four stitches at the end of each row until 25 stitches remained. I then knit in stockinette for 11 rows before binding off and sewing the resulting flap over the bamboo handles that I bought at Joann's (on sale and with a coupon!).

I took a couple of progress pictures while I was knitting this. The contrast of the colors is better on them so you can more clearly see the actual fair isle patterning:




I'm fairly pleased with how this turned out. It could probably use a cloth lining, but seeing as how I don't have a sewing machine and I hate sewing in general (I always say that's why I knit and crochet!), it ain't happenin'!

And since it did come out fairly well, I've decided to donate it to the silent auction at this weeks MLA conference. I really need another knit bag like I need a hole in the head and I made this more for the technique experience than the want of the actual bag.

Speaking of the technique experience, I'm definitely excited that I can now say "I can do Fair Isle", but I think I'm done with it for a while. By the time I was done with the second row of charts on this I kept thinking "I'd really like to just knit now". I think the acrobatics of using one color of yarn in each hand was getting old, and it's a bit difficult to manipulate on the train. So just knitting is what I will be doing for a while now. There are no fair isle projects on my horizon, but we all know how fast that can change!

So what will I be doing next? Well, since I take off for Memphis tomorrow, traveling knit time calls for small projects and things to read.



The new Interweave, the new Yarn Harlot book, Dan Brown's "Digital Fortress" (I loved the Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons so why not) and Jaywalker's for me and another pair of toe-ups for HWJF. A baby blanket for a college friend whose shower is March 12th may get thrown into the mix too. I hope that's enough to keep me entertained for the week. If not, I've already found a local yarn shop to visit one day so I should be set.

What can you expect for the next couple of weeks on the blog? A shocking parade of finished objects, more of the super secret project diary, and perhaps an Elvis sighting or two. See you in Memphis!