<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Zarzuela Knits and Crochets
My blog about my knitting, crocheting, and anything else I feel like ranting about!

Many random things...

3.26.2006
So I find myself in Panera in NJ on a Sunday with time to blog while I wait for HWJF to finish working for the day once again. I really don't mind this situation. I have a nice spot with an outlet near the fire, some good food in front of me and I get to knit while I'm at it too (although I haven't quite figured out how to do that while typing. My toes are not that agile). Sounds like a good Sunday afternoon to me. I have many random things I want to post, so I might as well get to it, shouldn't I?

1. I think it is finally safe to make a rather big announcement. HWJF and I are moving in together this summer. That's right, we are shacking up, living in sin, whatever you want to call it. I cannot deal with my commute much longer, my expenses will go down considerably when sharing rent and all that goes with it, not to mention a cheaper commute, and, well, there is that small issue of us being rather in love with each other and wanting to spend a really, really, really, really long time together. So I'll be moving to NJ. I will definitely miss the many friends I have made in CT, but the overall lifestyle and quality of life change is really needed. We are both getting a little worn out with the jumping around between three states and generally running around like crazy people. We are so looking forward to the little things that most people take for granted in life like being able to plan an evening meal, prepare it and eat it without having to run out the door, going into the next room to talk to your significant other rather than making a phone call, and just the overall reduction in mileage for both of us. I'm very excited. He is too, and he even came up with the idea of us getting a yarn wall. How could I not love this guy?

2. I'm cheating... on my addi turbos! (Now what were *you* thinking?!) Yesterday I discovered Crystal Palace Bamboo circular needles and I think I'm in love. You see, last Tuesday I finally cast on for this sweater. [Please do not point out the fact that while everyone else is starting to think cotton, I am starting a wool sweater, and not just any wool sweater, one of epic proportions. Please also do not point out the fact that I will likely be insane by the time I finish all this cable work.] I decided I needed a project that I had to concentrate on. Well I certainly got it. Oddly enough while the middle motif looks the most complicated, it is the little horseshoe shaped one that is driving nearly drove me f*$^ing insane. While it looks rather indescript, the seed stitch nature of it had me so befuddled at times that it took me ages just to get through one right side row. But I digress. Getting back to the needles, the main reason it was taking so long to work a right side row on this thing was the fact that my beloved addi's just didn't have a sharp enough point. I like to cable without a separate cable needle, and I just couldn't seem to get into the stitches easily enough. A short trip to the Yarn Barn for something else (which I'll get to in a second) found me eyeing these needles and I figured it was worth a try. I'm such a happy knitter now! Not only are they easier on the hands (a side effect that I've experienced before and loved in crochet hooks, but was never able to find in a suitable knitting needle) but the point is just perfect and I flew through the first row I knit with them. The cord is a bit stiff and needed a good steaming after coming out of the package, but that straightened it out no problem. I probably wouldn't use these for magic loop knitting, but for this project, I'm totally in love. One thing I know for sure, when I decide to start a lace shawl, I'll be buying a set of these for it without question. If anyone knows a good source for these at a reduced price (they are nearly as expensive as addis), please leave me a comment and let me know. Sorry addis! I love you but sometimes you just have to go with something else.

3. My original intent in going to the Yarn Barn was to get the fall issue of Interweave Crochet. I gave them a call and they said they had it, so I got there with 10 min. to spare before closing time. You may notice that although the name of this blog is Zarzuela knits AND crochets, there has been a serious lack of crocheting going on here lately. I just haven't found much to inspire me on the crochet front. I decided to get this after checking out the new podcast appropriately called Crochetcast. I'm hoping the combination of the podcast and the magazine will get me back a little of the old crochet mojo.

4. Last week, I bought a domain name. It was pretty easy and I even got a discount for listening to the Daily Source Code. I'm not totally sure what I'm going to do with it just yet, but I expect the blog will be moving there eventually. I'm excited about the possibilities and will keep you posted on my progress.

5. Have you entered the contest yet? Of course you haven't. No one has. This makes me a bit sad. What is it? The yarn? The idea of taking a picture of your desk? The thought of being organized? Tell me. Seriously. I'd really like to know.

6. Speaking of telling me stuff, I've been thinking a lot lately about the reasons why I and others read specific blogs and not others. So I've created a little poll that you will find over in the left sidebar under "Random Fun Stuff". Please vote and if you have more to say or this doesn't cover it, discuss it in the comments. I'm very interested in the thinking here.

7. Just to let you know, I have the week from hell on tap next week. I have rehearsals for a job with the ECSO every night except Tuesday. This means that I will be getting home around 11pm, only to get up for work at 5am. I expect there to be little knitting, much less blogging or rational thought in the coming week. I'll be attempting to prepare a couple of posts that I can release easily for your blog reading pleasure, but don't expect much.


That's all the randomness for today. Have a great week (and get some extra sleep for me)!