<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Zarzuela Knits and Crochets
My blog about my knitting, crocheting, and anything else I feel like ranting about!

Summer of Socks update...

5.15.2006
Edit: SIGN UPS ARE NOW CLOSED!!!! Please feel free to follow our progress over on the blog.

I want to thank everyone who has signed up for the Summer of Socks so far! I threw the idea out there last Friday in a caffeine induced fit of inspiration (seriously people at Dunkies, you should listen to the people who ask for decaf. It's usually because we really can't have caffeine and generally for medical reasons. You could really kill somebody!) and the response has been good. Now that I've gotten some time to think things through a little better I want to address some issues that have come up.

First, the main point is *not* about the competition. It's just a friendly knit/crochet along where you can keep motivated to knit socks while you are out and about this summer. Afterall, it is vacation time for most of us and what better portable project is there than a sock? You don't have to think "oh I'll never knit more than one pair so I won't join". That's not the point! Please feel free to join if you just want to knit some socks this summer and would like to do so along with a group of like minded people. And if you've never knit a sock before, this would be a great time to give it a try and let other people in the along help you out if you run into a problem.

Secondly, for those of us who need or want a challenge and/or some extra motivation, you can be part of the contest to see who can knit the most pairs of socks in three months. If you want to participate in this part, just let me know and I'll keep you on a special list of contestants. Only socks that are started June 21st or later and have a pair completed by the Sept. 21st deadline will count in this contest. I want to thank those of you who indicated that you would be willing to donate a prize. In the meantime, Lolly had a great idea in that if there is enough interest, we might be able to get a corporate sponsor to donate the prizes! So tell your friends and maybe there will be extra special goodies at the end!

The third thing is that I think we could have more than one contest going during the three months so that people can participate on several levels. So if you have a contest idea, please let me know. As I was thinking more about summer and sock knitting I thought of a second contest idea. We will also have a "Take your sock on vacation" contest. What you'll have to do for this one will be to take a picture of you and your sock at some interesting place that you end up at this summer. Now that doesn't necessarily mean you have to travel far and wide, there can be cool places right in your back yard! You can send your pictures in as the along goes... um... along *snicker* and we'll all vote for the best pic at the end. And of course there will be some sock related prize to the winner. As things go along (there's that word again) I'll set a submission deadline and give you an address to send your pictures.

So to summarize you can participate in three different ways (so far). 1. Just knit or crochet socks and interact with your fellow sock-loving friends. 2. Sign-up for the most socks in three months contest. 3. Sign up for the traveling sock contest.

Sound like fun? I sure hope so! If you've already signed up, leave a comment and let me know which ways you would like to participate. And if you haven't signed up, what the heck are you waiting for? E-mail me at Zarzuela1996 at yahoo dot com with the subject "Summer of Socks" and be sure to include your blog address and which parts you would like to participate in.

And in case you are just dying to get a button on your sidebar, the lovely and talented Beth was nice enough to make some buttons for us this weekend! Thanks again Beth!!





Please be sure to save to your own server!

Aren't they just too cool?


I promise this will be the last major post on this for those of you who don't want anything to do with socks! Next time, actual progress on projects that involve knitting and crocheting. Really.